Friday 20 Sep 2019
An insider’s guide to Fluxible weekend
With the conference upon us, we polled the Fluxible team for their insider tips for the best of Waterloo Region. While there are far too many great spots to be covered off in one list, we’ve highlighted some of the team’s favourites to share!
- Matter of Taste: Official barista to the festival, Matter of Taste has been part of of #KWAwesome since 2004. Stop into either of their brick and mortar locations to check out the brews of the day or pick up some of their beans to bring back to the office. #BestCoWorkerEver
- DVLB (Death Valley’s Little Brother): Some say the best Americano in the region, some say the world. A hop, skip, and a jump from the conference venue, this Uptown Waterloo coffee and whiskey bar is a Fluxible favourite.
- Smile Tiger: Perfect for commuters, the bright and inviting coffee house can be found beside Kitchener’s train station. It specializes in small batch seasonal roasts.
- Settlement Coffee Roasters: If you require a shot of strong, high-quality caffeine to start your day, then make tracks for Settlement. They roast micro lots of ethically-sourced coffee beans that will do the job perfectly.
Fluxible has you covered for delicious lunches, snacks, and Saturday night dinner. But if you’re looking to venture out on other nights, we’re sharing some of our local favourites to help you get your eat on.
- The Wooden Boat: Vietnamese eatery in Kitchener specializing in delicious & unique Vietnamese Banh Mi & other street style food. You can get takeaway from their “Ghost Kitchen”.
- Mel’s Diner: A long-time staple of the university crowd, this 50’s inspired dinner will make you feel like a forever local. Be sure to check out the daily blue plate special.
- Vincenzos: Whether you’re in the mood for a sandwich that can’t be beat, or to pick up for a nosh, Vincenzos’ bustling old world market feel delivers with gourmet food selections that highlight both local and international cuisine.
- Jane Bond: Great music, ironically awesome drinks, and amazing digs. If that wasn’t enough, the place also has a comfortingly-good vegetarian menu. Locals recommend their craft beer selection & cozy atmosphere.
Where do the locals go? Here are some of Uptown Waterloo’s best for late night beverages:
- Chainsaw: No-frills, way-fun, and the original destination for karaoke. Chainsaw is the must visit destination to share your version of “Purple Rain” with the world. It has become the unofficial Saturday night after-party destination for Fluxers.
- Loloan Lobby Bar: Innovative cocktails and inspired Southeast Asian cuisine, with a decor that makes you feel like you're living in a Bogart film.
- 21 Fir Whiskey Bar + Kitchen: Featuring top shelf whisky from around the world. This Uptown Waterloo watering hole offers elevated cocktails and inspiring comfort food with a southern twist.
- White Rabbit: Boasting over 300 types of spirits and the largest back bar in the city. Hand-crafted cocktails, punch bowls, tasting paddles, and more are just some of the exotic ways you can get a buzz in this cool spot.
- Huether Hotel: Beer made on the premises of a hotel with a checkered past. What’s not to like? A multi-floor labyrinth of house-made beer and food in a historic building. Also, lots of pool tables for the conference sharks. Now that you have all this info, we hope you have a great stay. If we’ve missed something or you have any questions, send us a note via our contact page. See you at Fluxible!